Numerical Modeling Services
Numerical modeling is a powerful method of visualizing the dynamic behavior of physical
systems. We have developed 1D, 2D and 3D models capable of accurately simulating
water circulation in
- Coastal waters and
- Continental shelf and deeper waters
All the models are founded solidly on the science of fluid mechanics / dynamics
for circulation including such natural forces as
- Density stratification and buoyancy
- Wind stress
- Drag arising from shore line and bottom
- Coriolis etc.
Apart from the above, several software under the group name "HYDRODYN"
were developed – for Air pollution, Surface pollution, Ground Water pollution and Fluid Dynamics simulation etc.
Numerical modeling plays an important role in the design of any proposed development
project as it helps delineate qualitative and quantitative assessment of the potential
impact on surroundings. Whether a proposed development implies physical, chemical
or biological “footprint” in the aquatic /terrestrial / spatial environment, the
development of more reliable and user friendly models make it easier and more economically
feasible to assess and evaluate the effects and to separate natural fluctuations
from actual impacts. The application of models assists decision makers in many ways.
- in site selection and evaluation of its appropriateness for a given purpose
- through assessment of design conditions as basis for dimensioning structures
- by isolating and reducing the un-certainties with respect to anticipated environment
- through evaluation of different layouts or scenarios of measures ensuring that the
most cost effective layout or approach is adopted.
Also for operational and planning purposes, numerical models are indispensable tools
in decision making.
Using integrated monitoring and modeling systems to simulate the conditions in real
time and make predictions typically few days ahead for ---
- Emergency planning and disaster management ( flood forecasting, clean-up assessment
due to accidental spills of oils. Pesticides etc)
- Optimization of reservoir operations
- Water quality control etc.